The way I cook my Mexican style eggs takes a little time, but its really very simple to do, and if you use a non stick pan pretty much fool proof.
This recipe is for one but you could easily double up the quantities with no ill side effects.
To make this you'll need:
- 3-4 Eggs
- 1/2 White onion finely chopped
- 1 Medium tomato chopped
- 1 Small clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 Red chilli finely chopped (seeds removed if you don't like too much heat, I left them in)
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 Large white tortilla
- In a non stick pan fry the onion until just soft in a little olive oil.
- Once the onion is soft add the tomato, chilli and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes on a low heat until darkened, adding a little more oil if it looks too dry.
- While the tomatoes are cooking heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry your quarters of Tortilla on both sides until golden brown, then pat dry with kitchen roll and keep warm in a very low oven.
- Next add your beaten eggs to the pan with the tomatoes, season well with salt and pepepr, and using a wooden spoon cook on a low heat until scrambled to your liking. I like mine soft but not runny.
To serve, spoon the eggs on to a plate and garnish with chopped fresh coriander and the crispy tortilla quarters on the side.
The combination of soft eggs, chilli heat, rich tomato, fresh herbs, and those crispy jumbo tortilla chips is an absolute winner, and exactly the kind of the thing I need the morning after a night on the naughty water.
For another hangover breakfast option why not try my Soft Cure Chorizo and Grana Padano Omelette.